Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Waiting in the Dark - Japan

          Director:  Daisuke Tengan
          Year:  2006
          Plot:  "Michiru has recently lost her eyesight.  To make matters worse, her father dies shortly afterwards.  She is now all alone and spends most of her day isolated in her home.  Akihiro is a Chinese-Japanese immigrant, that has had to deal with racism all throughout his life.  He is now tormented at work by one of his older co-workers named Toshio.  One day at a train station in front of Michiru's house, Toshio is thrown into the path of an oncoming train.  The only person seen at the train stop was Akihiro.  Akihiro frantically flees from the scene and manages to enter Michiru's house without her knowledge.  After a few days, Michiru starts to sense the presence of another person in her home."


          First off, I have to say that this movie is going in my "Want" list as I will be planning on getting it when I have the money to.  At first, this movie may have seemed a little slow as it goes through the life of Michiru before her visitor comes.  The thing is though it is still kind of interesting to see how she lives.  I really thought what her father did with the card was sweet, working on it at night and all.  The movie gets to the point when Michiru hears her doorbell and no one answers her, yet the person sneaks in.
          The story then switches to that of Akihiro.  I was quite upset with seeing the way he was treated.  It definitely wouldn't be hard to understand why he might have pushed Toshio.  It just isn't right to make the guy go through all of that.  
          His time though with Michiru is rather touching.  No words are said and she doesn't even know he is there.  Little things though clue her in.  When she almost hurts her self trying to reach something, Akihiro mistakenly announces himself without saying a word.  After this, there relationship is quite nice.  Michiru easily accepts his presence, much to the bewilderment of many reviewers.  I though could understand the reasoning.  He had been in her house for quite awhile and never did anything to her.
          I have to say that the outcome of the little mystery was something I hadn't really expected.  I loved how they kept it quite shrouded and alluded to a different outcome.  I usually love hints to the ending, but I was quite happy with the opposite in this one.  Yes, when you think back there are a few things that explain what was really going on, but with other information you really couldn't have guessed it.


          I am not sure why I decided to give this only 4 stars.  The main reason I guess would be that parts were kind of slow.  This doesn't mean I didn't love this movie.  I highly suggest this, but I probably wouldn't watch it when you want something fast paced and exciting.  n.n


No comments:

Post a Comment