Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sunflower - Korea

          Director:  Seok-beom Kang
          Year:  2006
          Plot:  "Released from prison, Taesik goes to live with an adopted mother. He takes a job and tries to live a quiet life with his new family. His efforts are threatened when a politician seeks to knock the family restaurant down to build a mall."


          This story is of course on that has been done before.  There are many stories of a recently released prisoner that returns home and redeems themselves by saving the town or what not.  (That's not exactly how this one happens, but pretty close to the same thing.)
          This movie was rather a surprise to me.  Sure, it isn't hard to see some things coming because this is a rather common story line.  The reason this one surprised me is because it was really well done.  It isn't too often that I stay interested in a movie that is kind of slow, especially when I had been expecting some action (there is some, but mainly just at the end).
          Despite the fact that the movie was a little slow, it easily kept my interest.  The best point of this movie was our main character Taesik.  I loved that at first he seemed all quiet and a bit innocent like.  When his past is revealed, you understand that this is because of his bad history and wanting to now be a good person.  He really is a good person it seems.  The notebook he carries around is really a nice addition to the story.  I love that instead of having things he needs to do to put things right, he has things that he needs to do to either be a good person or that he never got to do, like a picnic.
          Now about the fight scenes.  These were quite lacking in the movie.  They really only existed for like the last five minutes, if that.  There was more scenes of people beating on the hero, but it isn't really a fight scene if it isn't two sided.  There was one scene though of this that I absolutely loved.  In this specific scene, instead of worrying about himself, he only worried about another person.  This really showed how far he had come.
          The ending was kind of sad, but I guess it worked.  Though I didn't really care for how they ended the scene with Taesik, I absolutely loved how they ended it with the sister.  That part was really nice and it really ended this movie in a really nice way.

          I will be suggesting this one as well as owning it soon.  The only reason I wouldn't suggest this movie is if you are looking for high paced action.  This one definitely isn't that, but it wasn't too slow or even boring for me.  I felt that this was a really nice version of a rather common story line.

No comments:

Post a Comment