Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Princess Blade - Japan

          Director:  Shinsuke Sato
          Year:  2001
          Plot:  "In the near future, Japan is ruled once more by a monarchy.  But, rebels opposed to this rule seek to overthrow the government.  The House of Takemikazuchi, a band of assassins is hired by the government to suppress the rebels.  As a conspiracy from within signals the shadowy organization's impending demise, Yuki, the last of the Takemikazuchi bloodline befriends one of the rebels and seeks revenge against the group's leader."


          This movie really was quite disappointing.  It is just that I really wasn't very happy with this movie at all.  I started watching it because I wanted to see a movie with a strong female character.  Though this movie has that, it lacks much else.  The fight scenes weren't very thrilling, but that could also have to do with the fact that I watched it on YouTube, but some things just seemed wrong.  Parts of the fights were just edited too fast to be very entertaining.  It really seems sad from what I seen to know that Donnie Yen choreographed the fights.  It just didn't seem to do much justice, there were a few scenes though that were actually pretty good.
          The characters of this movie were quite dull.  I don't think it was the actor's faults, but the story line itself.  The story line didn't leave enough room for much development of any of the characters, even that of the main characters.  Sure there was a little, but the bare minimum.
          I don't really know much else to say about this movie.  Oh I know.  I want to point out that that one sword gimmick looked completely horrible.  If a sword goes through someone and sticks out their back, how is it perfectly clean and shiny.  Usually I don't notice stupid stuff like that, but that kind of irritated me.  >.<


          This is not a movie I would necessarily suggest to anyone.  It was really quite disappointing.  If you are going to give this movie a shot, please don't expect a masterpiece.  That is the only way you might be at most satisfied with this movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment