Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ip Man - China

          Director:  Wilson Yip
          Year:  2008
          Plot:  “A semi-biographical account of Yip Man, the first martial arts master to teach the Chinese martial art of Wing Chun.”


          I bought this movie a while back (like three weeks or something), and just finally got to watch it.  I wish I would have watched this sooner.  It also has to do with the fact that it stars Donnie Yen, who I am starting to become a big fan of.  n.n
          I have to say that this is a very good movie.  I loved the fight scenes in this movie.  Again people complained about wire work, but really I think those people watch the movie to see the wire work.  If you are actually focusing on the movie and not caring how they made it, wirework just doesn’t seem obvious.  I really didn’t see any problem with or without wirework.
          I loved when Ip Man beat the guy up with what looked like a feather duster.  I mean, how great is that, though some of the sound during it didn’t make much sense.  I don’t think I can really list specifically what I liked about the various fight scenes, as there is quite a bit, but I did think it was great that he taught the mill workers to fight, even though they weren’t the greatest.  Oh and the scene near the beginning with the police officer’s gun.  It wasn’t much, but I thought it was rather interesting.
          I don’t know if there was really anything that I disliked.  There might have been points that could have been a bit better, but nothing really specific.  I think this movie was very entertaining and rather well done.


          I am happy that I decided to buy this and have it in my collection.  It is a good movie for martial arts fans, and of course those of Donnie Yen.  Definitely one I would suggest, and not just as a martial arts movie, the storyline is also quite entertaining of itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment