Sunday, March 6, 2011

Nana - Japan

          Director:  Kentarô Ohtani
          Year:  2005
          Plot:  “A chance encounter between two girls of the same name, "Nana," triggers a series of events and relationships.”


          First, I have to say that I completely fell for this movie.  I mean completely.  I first started watching this movie because Matsuyama Ken’ichi was in it.  I couldn’t help it.  I needed my Ken’ichi fix and Kamui Gaiden wouldn’t load or it had completely horrible subtitles.  It is not good to deprive me of my obsessions.  Anyway, so I saw on IMDb that Ken’ichi was in Nana, so naturally I just had to watch.
          Okay so about the movie itself.  Like I said I adore this movie.  I am not sure there is anything that I had a problem with.  I was captivated from the beginning, and I mean the very beginning.
          I loved all of the characters in this one (except Shoji and Sachiko).  Nana and Hachi were definitely the best though (and rightfully so).  I enjoyed the way Nana acted.  Her character was very well done, and I loved her progression with Hachi.  At first she starts out friendly yet holding everything about herself back, but later she opens up enough to let Hachi and everyone get closer.  I also liked Hachi who didn’t think she had anywhere to belong, yet never realized that she belonged where she was, with Nana and her friends.
          I loved the love story that was going on.  Not with Hachi though, that guy was kind of a jerk, but with Nana.  She tried so hard to forget about him, but just couldn’t.  I have to say that this was the first movie where I was actually pleading the character to do something.  I am not the type to talk to the movies I watch, but I kept pleading with Ren to give back the key, or go after her.  I couldn’t help it, I got so attached to Nana, I didn’t want to see her hurt.  The same went for Hachi and Shoji, the jerk.
          I guess some of the casting was a bit weird to some people, but that is only if you have read the manga that this movie is based off of.  I did not see any problem with the casting in the movie, as all actors played their characters really well in my view.  The fact is though that I have never read the manga, and can't say how good the actors played the manga/anime versions.


          I absolutely loved this movie.  I am sure there are a few who could find faults in this movie (mostly action only fans), but it is definitely a movie I would recommend to many viewers.  This is one movie that I definitely have to have in my collection.  n.n


No comments:

Post a Comment