Friday, March 18, 2011

71: Into the Fire - Korea

          Director:  John H. Lee
          Year:  2010
          Plot:  “Based on the true story of 71 students who fight hundreds of North Korean soldiers in front of a middle school in August of 1950 during the Korean War.  Kap-jo was formerly a student who was convicted of murder.  While serving his sentence he volunteers to fight as a soldier.”


          I am pretty surprised that this movie didn’t seem to be very popular on IMDB.  The reason that I have such a hard time understanding this is because I pretty much hate war movies, but fell in love with this one.  Okay, so I did start watching it simply because Big Bang’s Seung Hyun Choi (T.O.P) was in it.  I ended up sticking around for more than just him though.
          The story held my attention even during another late night.  The fact that 71 students were to defend a post for South Korea with enemy infantry headed their way was very intriguing.  I absolutely loved this movie for the fact that those students were so strong.  They were just students, not soldiers, yet they we able to work together to protect a South Korean post.
          After two previous attacks is when the movie gets completely serious.  It is then that the student soldiers are given a choice, an opportunity to surrender and save themselves.  The problem is that by surrendering, the North Korean’s would breach the Nakdong River and thus leave the South Korean’s with no more room to retreat.  The choice is left to the students.  A few leave wanting to survive, but nearly all choose to stay and fight for their country, knowing that they will likely die.  It seems to be a very noble decision they make.
          As per the movie, the students only have to hold out for an hour until reinforcements hopefully arrive.  In the real story, the students held out for 11 hours, which is a far greater accomplishment.  The movie though couldn’t last that long so they shortened the time frame.  Even shortened, the accomplishment seems so great.  The students lasted despite the greater army arriving before them.


          This movie is a major tearjerker.  Most movies cannot get me to even cry, but it seems that these Asian movies that I have been finding lately have that ability.  I have no problem with this, as their movies are so well done story wise that they are worthy of some tears.
          Anyway, I absolutely loved this movie despite it being a war movie.  I am definitely planning on adding this one to my collection in the near future.  This is also one I am suggesting to everyone I know.


          Oh, here's a link to the movie on YouTube.  Click the CC button for English Subtitles.  71: Into the Fire (Part 1/8)


No comments:

Post a Comment