Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Kurosagi - Japan

          Director:  Yasuharu Ishii
          Year:  2008
          Plot:  “Kurosaki, is a swindler who cheats other professional con artists to help their victims and avenge the death of his own family.  Kurosaki buys information about other swindlers from the man who cheated his family, Katsuragi Toshio.”


          I decided this movie simply because I didn’t know what else to watch.  This movie is based off the TV series and Manga of the same name.  I have never read the manga or watched the series though.  For entertainment purposes on a lazy day, I found this movie at least somewhat worthy.
          I have to say that I liked Kurosaki very much.  I was rather intrigued by the character, which got me through some of the odd parts.  I seen somewhere that someone said that Yamashita Tomohisa, lack of emotional range deterred them from the movie.  I have to argue against this point though.  It is actually a good thing that he doesn’t show too much of a range.  Kurosaki is a black swindler, who had his whole family taken from him.  That kind of past should definitely leave you emotionally scarred.  I don’t know what people were expecting the character to be like, but I actually enjoyed the way Tomohisa performed it.
  I do have to say that this movie could have been written better.  I was constantly getting lost with the whole Julius Caesar aspects.  I really just didn’t get how it fit with the movie.  I got the whole betrayal thing, but the fact that the guy kept wanting to act it out, and who was really who, I was completely lost.  I also have to say that as far as the movie goes, the girl Yoshikawa, was not good for the plot in any way.  She added absolutely nothing.  I’m sure she had a great part in the series, but in a movie, there is just no room for her.
  I saw some complaints about no great character development that was in the series or what not, and though I haven’t seen the series, I do have to say something.  This movie was a 127 minutes, and because of this I am sure the character develops a lot more in the series.  There is way more room for the development in a TV series.


          Though this movie could have been better, I think that it was entertaining the way it was.  If you are rather bored, this is a movie that will at least take up some of your time.  If the characters aren’t very interesting, some of the cons might just be.  I enjoyed how he pulled off the final con.  It was at the very least entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment