Sunday, March 27, 2011

Gantz - Japan

          Director:  Shinsuke Sato
          Year:  2011
          Plot:  “After trying to rescue a man on the subway tracks, two teens wake up in a room dominated by a mysterious black sphere that sends them to hunt down and kill aliens hiding on Earth.”

          So I have to say that I watched this a few days ago only because Matsuyama Ken’ichi was in it.  I know that it is based on an anime/manga, but I am not a fan of either.  I read the first chapter and couldn’t get into it.  I couldn’t read more than that simply because of the artwork.  It wasn’t my style, so I just couldn’t get attacked, not that the story idea wasn’t intriguing.
          Anyway, about the movie.  I went into this movie not expecting much of anything (mainly because of my lack of interest in the manga), but I have to saw I was surprised.  Not only did I love Ken’ichi’s character, but I also enjoyed the others.  I really loved the girl.  I knew her reason for death the moment I saw her, but I love the fact that her world gets changed by gestures from the kind Kato.  I had a major problem with Kei at one point, but that was also the point of that part of the movie, so it isn’t a bad thing.
          Now, let’s talk gear.  I loved the suits.  At first I thought they were a little ridiculous, but once the action stated going the tight fitting suits become rather normal.  I did like how the suit would grow around the guys, giving them strength.  It was pretty cool.  I also really loved the weapons.  The guns were pretty awesome.  I love how nothing happens right after the trigger is pulled, but comes a few seconds later.  It leads to lots of nice little pieces.  ^.~
          I was kind of sad at the end.  This was for a few reasons.  One being that something I disliked happened in the end.  Two, it is a very open ending that leaves much to be hoped for.  Finally, just the simple fact that even watching it awhile after release, I still have to wait for the second one.  Oh well, it won’t be too long.  I’m just going to have to get this one on its way to my movie shelf in the mean time.  n.n

          Though fans of the Anime/Manga might not like this movie (because a lot of the sex and all that is left out), I absolutely loved this.  This is the type of movie that an average viewer will like, and not just an Anime fan.  This one has to at least be given a shot.  If you end up not liking it, you can always come back and argue with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment