Saturday, March 26, 2011

Death Trance - Japan

         Director:  Yuji Shimomura
          Year:  2005
          Plot:  “An unknown time. An unknown place. Without reasons. With no future. His only desire is… Destruction!”


          Okay, first I must say, the plot completely sucks…  Not necessarily the one in the movie but the one in the stated plot area above.  I like to take the plot from other sites, but this one turned out to be an issue.  That is seriously the plot statement I kept getting.  It is even worse when that plot really has nothing to do with the actual movie besides the fact that we really don’t know where or when this is taking place.
          I do actually mean that the plot has nothing to do with the movie.  The movie centers around a man named Grave (simply referred to as Coffin Man) who stole a coffin from a temple.  Within the coffin is something that will bring about destruction.  The stories that have gone around about the coffin say that it will grant wishes.  Desiring this, Grave and another man set off on separate missions in hope of having theirs granted.  On a mission to stop anyone from opening the coffin is a lone monk.
          That is basically what the movie is about.  It is filled with different fight scenes which I have heard a few people say had cheesy sfx and corny stunts.  I didn’t see this entirely.  Sure the sfx weren’t up to par with decent budget Hollywood movies, but that doesn’t really bother me.  I would rather see crappy sfx in an Asian movie than an American one.
           This movie was actually pretty good.  I loved Grave, as he is really an anime character come to life.  I haven’t heard any complaints about Grave’s character, but I have heard complaints about as specific goddess.  She is supposed to be of destruction, but some people complained about her pretty outfit with flowers and such.  I actually loved that point as not everything pretty is innocent, and not everything rough looking is destructive.


          Anyway, I actually enjoyed this movie.  It was pretty entertaining because of Grave’s character as well as the whole issue about the coffin.  I did have a problem with the stupid katana the monk is carrying around.  I think it needed a little redesigning on the hilt.  It really bothered me.  I did actually kind of like the ending, even though it leaves it very open, you can kind of guess that it is going to continue for quite some time.


No comments:

Post a Comment