Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Love of Siam - Thailand

          Director:  Chukiat Sakveerakul 
          Year:  2007
          Plot:  “Two young boys are best friends living quiet family lives in Bangkok.  Their lives are disrupted when one boy's older sister goes missing on a jungle trip.  The shattered family moves away, separating the boys.  Years later, now in their late teens, the boys meet again. One of them is now the leader of an aspiring boy band whose managing assistant bears a striking resemblance to the lost sister.  The boys must deal with their family and social lives and their feelings for each other.”


          Lately it seems like I have been picking out some good movies.  This is because again, I ended up loving this movie.  The Love of Siam is simply a great movie.  There isn’t too many movies that can actually bring tears to my eyes, and this is in fact one of them that can.
          If I hadn’t been so into the relationship between the character’s, I might have found this movie to be slow.  This movie is two hours and a half long.  That is a long movie, especially if you start watching it at about midnight online.  I had no problem watching this movie then though.  The story had me so wrapped up, I didn’t even notice it was late until 10/17 parts.  I just couldn’t break away from this movie.
          Now about the families.  From the beginning, I felt bad for Mew.  He was left with his aunt and grandma when he was young.  The poor kid was all alone, though it was sweet that him and his grandma connected through the music.  Tong on the other hand had a great family (though Christian).  Once the two boys connected, everything seemed really great, but it wasn’t meant to last.  Once everything happened with Tong, Mew lost more people, first Tong than a little later his grandma.  That kind of life is hard on a kid.
          It’s not too hard to see that Mew would later have a hard time seeing that people cared about him.  The only one he seemed to notice was Tong, and everyone else he didn’t really see.  That is what made the ending so great.  Even with what Tong told him, Mew was still alright.  He realized that he was surrounded by those who really did care for him and would be there for him.
          I still wish the ending could have been different, but as I see it, it could still be.  The movie seems to be ended a little early than what I would have like.  It ended at a place where Tong still needed to be their for his mom and dad.  Though his dad was getting better, they still needed him to be there for them.  If it had ended different, he couldn’t be there as much as June suggested.  Maybe if the movie had been continued to where everyone was alright again, the ending might have come out differently.  At least that is what my heart is hoping.  n.n


          This is one of the best movies I have seen.  It is long, but the story is so great and it just sort of captures you.  Of course this wouldn’t be for anyone who has disdain for homosexuals, but for those who don’t mind the idea of two guys together, this is a great love story.  I say this being a person who usually can’t stand romance movies.  Maybe it is just western love stories I dislike, cause I seem to love Asian romances.


No comments:

Post a Comment