Saturday, July 30, 2011

K.G. (Karate Girl) - Japan

          Director:  Yoshikatsu Kimura
          Year:  2011
          Plot:  "When she was a child, a mysterious group killed Ayaka’s father, kidnapped her sister Natsuki and stole a black belt passed down in her family for 200 years.  Years later when the group makes a reappearance, she decides to do whatever it takes to get Natsuki back."


          I am not sure why I decided to watch this one, but I guess it had to do with the almost 4 star rating on one of my sites.  After watching this movie, I wasn't quite sure on how to rate this one myself.  I did feel that the story line was decent though it wasn't anything really special.  Some of the major points didn't even seem to work themselves out.  I do not know if this fact was due to the horrible subtitles or an actual error in the plot.  I also was irritated with the replaying of scenes.  A fight scene looks great as a base scene but when you play a clip again right after you just seen it, it takes away from the movie.
          I am serious about the horrible subtitles.  They really ruined the movie a bit for me.  I watched it online, and tried a few different versions with the same result, so I do not know if is on the dvd or not.  The subtitles weren't so bad that I couldn't understand any of the movie, but it was quite bad.  There were parts where the kept saying he and him when they were talking about a girl, and in other parts the subtitles sentence structure was all out of order.  It is hard to get into a story when you are constantly trying to decipher subtitles.
          I did like part of this movie.  I liked that our main character is just a seemingly normal girl, she even seem to really downplay her abilities in the beginning.  I did wonder though why she went and got changed into a school uniform before heading over to the bad guy's lair, but I over looked that.  I really did enjoy when the sisters were working together.  It turned out quite well.
          I did find the resolution of this movie to be a little disappointing.  I did not understand exactly why they fought the one guy.  He was a bad guy, but it didn't really look like he was going to fight them, and they attacked him.  The only real good thing about the ending actually came in the credits.  I loved that they showed the girls practicing the stunts and all.  It really made the feeling of the movie slightly better.


         I did feel that this was an okay movie.  It isn't one that I would get excited over watching again but it used up my time decently.  I would suggest watching this only if you found one with decent subtitles as I think that would make this movie considerably better.


No comments:

Post a Comment