Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Antique - Korea

           Director:  Kyu-Dong Ming
           Year:  2008
           Plot:  “Jin-hyeok opens a cake shop in an old antique shop, hiring Seon-woo, Korea's best pastry chef, who fell in love with him in high school.  Also there, are Su-yeong, crushing on Seon-woo, ex-boxer Ki-beom, and Seon-woo's French ex-boyfriend.”


           I simply had to watch this one when I seen this on the site LetMeWatchThis.  I figured a Korean Gay Comedy wouldn’t be too much of a waste of time.  It turns out that I was right.  I absolutely loved this movie.  Oh, and I haven’t read the comic it is based on or anything.
           It is always seems strange to me when I find a comedy that I enjoy.  I usually find comedies stupid, but maybe that is just the American ones.  I absolutely found this movie genuinely funny.  I still can’t get over Su-yeong.  I think he was about the funniest person in this movie.
           I thought they did a good job bringing all of the characters history into this movie.  You got a little piece of everyone’s story, and that really helped to understand them better.  It is sad what Jin-hyeok did to Su-yeong when they were in school, but it really wasn’t done on purpose.  At first you look at it and think of him as a horrible person, but by the end of the movie you realize that he would have never done that if something hadn’t happened just moments before.  Of course I won’t tell you what happened, that’s for you to see for yourself.
           I think Su-yeong is my favorite character in the whole movie, and it’s not just because he is the gay guy, or cause he is pretty.  I just felt bad for him, especially with his ex-boyfriend, now there’s someone who deserved worse than he got.  Nothing may have happened between any of the shop employee (though between the two would have been nice), it seems Su-yeong was happy just working there, which is cute.
           The mystery taking place behind the cute comedy front was a very nice touch.  It really did give this movie something to keep everything in balance.  This movie might not have done so well without such an intriguing story.  I found the ending rather interesting though.  I had expected it to end a little different, but it wasn’t bad the way it happened either.  I am sure you will understand me if you watch the movie.  n.n


            This is definitely a movie I have to own.  It has a great balance of an intriguing mystery, and light-hearted humor.  Parts of this movie though may be a little off-putting to homophobes, for those who don’t mind, it is very cute.  n.n  This is definitely one to check out.


No comments:

Post a Comment