Thursday, January 6, 2011

Moon Child - Japan

          Director:  Takahisa Zeze
          Year:  2003
          Plot:  "In the year 2014, Japan has collapsed economically and its people have emigrated in large numbers to other parts of the world.  In a corner in Asia, there is a little street called Mallepa, a big melting pot where Asians such as Hongkongers, Taiwanese and Japanese live together.  Here people fought for order, food and freedom.  This was where Shou, raised as an orphan and Kei, who could live forever, met and became the best of friends.  However, they were unable to escape from the fight for power involving gangs of different ethnicity on the street of Mallepa."


          I decided that this should be my next post.  I absolutely loved this movie.  I admit I watched it as a fangirl.  I absolutely love Gackt and Hyde (both are Jrock musicians).  Yes, I watched it simply because they were in it.  Forgive me for my fangirl tendencies.  I promise not to base too much of this post on fangirl obsessed opinions.  I swear I will talk about the movie and not just Gackt and Hyde.


          This movie has something for just about everyone, because of this, it could have been a complete flop.  The thing is, everything worked great together.  I don't really like sappy movies (though there is a few I can handle).  I have always been more of an action, adventure and horror sort of girl.  It really surprised me that I got so into this movie.  Sure there are action scenes that are good, but the story does in fact rely on a very emotional base.  I guess it is the fact that it has the elements of fantasy and action that allow me to appreciate the emotional part.
          I absolutely loved the connection between Sho and Kei.  They were so close, and I just got so addicted to it.  It was all so sweet.  Kei was always so distraught, being a vampire seems to do that lately, but it isn't just the part about being a monster that caused his angst.  I have always had issues with the vampires who hate who they are simply because they drink blood.  In Moon Child, most of Kei's problems are because he cares so much for Sho.  He sits back and watches his friend grow up, knowing that one day he will die and leave Kei all alone again.  This is the part that really got me.  There is not much to the world when you are alone, and no matter how long you live, you won't be happy without even one person.
         Now onto the action scenes.  I actually liked the scenes in this movie.  I am usually not really into gun fights, they're okay, but not the greatest.  In this one I have to say the gun fights didn't get too boring to me.  There was always at least one thing that peaked my interest, like where the picture from below comes from.  I just found that scene to be rather cool.  I know some people disagree with me, but that's all right.  My favorite action scenes though are the ones where Sho gets a little physical rather than just using a gun.  He is very entertaining to watch, especially when he goes to kick someone and misses.  It is rather funny.  Yes this movie even has a little bit of humor.  I must say that I crack up every time I see Kei dancing with the dead guy.
          This one of the rare movies that makes me cry.  At first I thought it was simply because of my obsession with Gackt, but I don't think it is only about Gackt.  After all, I would think it would have stopped having an effect on me after I knew what happens to his character.  The fact is that every time I watch this movie, I end up crying.  It is the story that really hits me and not just the fact that something happens to one of my favorite musicians.  No matter how many times I end up crying because of this movie, I still can't resist watching it.
          I have to say one more thing about this movie.  There is a scene where Sho runs out of bullets.  Now the way he reloads is very cool (not realistic but still).  I was watching this movie while my dad came over to grab something.  He hates foreign movies because he doesn't like to read.  The fact is that he looked at the TV just as this scene came on, and he was hooked.  He ended up borrowing the movie from me and was surprised to find that he liked it for more than just the action scenes.  Like I said, there is a little bit for everyone.


          I absolutely love this movie.  It is great every time I watch it.  It happens to be one of my all time favorites.  I hope there wasn't too much in this post that seems too fangirl-ish.  I'm obsessive, but I really do like this movie for actual reasons and not just because Gackt and Hyde are awesome.  n.n


No comments:

Post a Comment